Silversea Cruises is launching an itinerary to Antarctica from Puerto Williams, Chile for the 2022-2023 season. The route will be traveled by the cruise line’s three ice-class expedition ships: Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, and Silver Explorer.
“I extend my gratitude to the Chilean authorities and local stakeholders who have enabled us to unlock the most comfortable and convenient route to Antarctica for international travellers,” says Roberto Martinoli, Silversea’s President and CEO. “As the only cruise line currently offering Antarctica expeditions from Puerto Williams, we are immensely proud of this accomplishment, which is representative of our commitment to delivering truly unique experiences in this iconic destination.”
The route will include a number of benefits for passengers, including:
- An overnight stay in a five-star hotel in Santiago, with a welcome reception dinner and breakfast
- A transfer to Santiago’s airport the following day, with a flight departing from a private airport terminal
- An exclusive charter flight to Puerto Williams, fully escorted by a Silversea representative
- An upgraded, personalised flight experience, including extra legroom, greater luggage allowance, and regionally-inspired gourmet lunch
- A quicker transfer to the ship in Puerto Williams
- Upon disembarkation from the ship, a direct transfer to the airport and charter flight to Santiago for the onward journey
The new departures from Puerto Williams will also allow Silver Cloud and Silver Wind to call at Cape Horn in southern Chile on select voyages (conditions permitting), which will allow Silversea travelers to disembark at one of the continent’s southernmost points.
The sailings to Antarctica range from a few days to 20 days, which can include exploration of the Antarctic Peninsula, South Shetland Islands, King George Island, Falkland Islands, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and more.
“Such innovations reflect Silversea’s destination leadership in Antarctica,” says Conrad Combrink, Silversea’s Senior Vice President of Expeditions, Turnaround Operations and Destination Management. “Puerto Williams is a magnificent gateway for accessing the natural treasures of Antarctica. As the only company currently operating a private charter flight between Santiago and Puerto Williams, Silversea can now offer guests an enhanced level of service and a more seamless connection as they journey to Antarctica in style. I thank the Chilean authorities and all involved stakeholders for their invaluable collaboration. This innovation has been many years in the making, and it is an incredibly proud moment to see our guests departing from Puerto Williams on three of our ultra-luxury ships.”