United Airlines has released new mobile app features in an attempt to shorten customer service lines at airport. The features include a self-service tool that will automatically present travelers personalized re-booking options, bag tracking information, and meal and hotel vouchers when eligible if their flight is delayed or canceled.
According to the airline, “While United had the lowest mainline flight and seat cancellation rates of any airline in the country during the first three months of the year, the carrier still has the most flights impacted by weather given the location of its major domestic hubs.”
Nearly 50 percent of United Airlines’s customers use the app during disruptions, and United found in beta tests that they responded well to the new features as well as reducing the number of people waiting in customer service lines at airports.
“Our goal is to get our customers to their destination on time, but we know things don’t always go as planned and that’s when a tool like this can make a real difference,” said Linda Jojo, chief customer officer for United. “Our new mobile app feature offers more transparency, saves time and reduces stress for our customers, and it shortens lines at customer service desks so our employees can better assist passengers with complex issues or questions. Plus, it’s another example of United’s continued investment in new technology and tools.”
- When a flight is delayed by more than 60 minutes or canceled, customers will automatically see options for delays and cancellations on the home screen of the United mobile app.
- Some of the features include:
- Text or app notifications of delays or cancellations.
- Check flight and re-booking status options.
- Baggage tracking status.
- Notifications of eligible vouchers, including hotel, meal, or rideshare vouchers if eligible.
- Connect to a United customer service agent virtually through call, text, or video chat.
For those without the United mobile app, The self-service tool is also accessible on a mobile device or computer at united.com for those without the United mobile app.
More information can be found on the United.com app.
Photo credit: United Airlines.